Saturday, January 26, 2013

Fruit Cocktail Cake...An oldie but goodie!

Fruit Cocktail Cake isn't a cake that too many make anymore. I love looking through my grandma's or mother-in-law's cookbooks and taking a walk down memory lane back to my childhood. I remember having it when I was a little kid and thinking, wow, this is incredible! Of course, time goes by and quick, easy fixes are the solution to baking now days. Well, here we go, this cake is so simple and its ingredients are right in the pantry! I will for sure be making it again to take to my next function and for my husband.


Fruit Cocktail Cake

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups fruit cocktail and juice (1 and a half cans)

Mix together and pour into a greased and floured 9x13 pan. If the batter looks dry, add more fruit cocktail and juice.

Sprinkle over batter before baking:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans, mixed with brown sugar

Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes.

Sauce on top-while cake is baking, boil together for 4 minutes:
1 cup sugar
1 stick of butter
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Keep an eye on the sauce stirring occasionaly
Pour sauce over cake as it is taken from oven. Needs no icing.

Refrigerate remaining cake



No comments:

Post a Comment